8 WAYS TO REPAIR DAMAGED HAIR
Do you have damaged hair from bleaching or damaged hair from heat? Here are 8 simple ways to repair your damaged hair.
It’s difficult to avoid damaged hair because the texture change is obvious to you and others. Once your hair is damaged the cuticle layer which is the outmost layers has been destroyed.
Your hair may be damaged from colour, bleaching, sunrays, hot tools, pollution, perm, styling one way, overbrushing and other factors. Thus, resulting in dryness, breakage, and many other repercussions.
But, how can we repair it? Depending on the damage that your hair has, you may be able to repair it.
Here are 8 ways to repair your damaged hair:
#1. Use deep conditioners or treatment
– Start deep conditioning your hair on a weekly basis. Use deep conditioners that are full of protein as well as moisture. Protein helps to rebuild the cuticle structure of your hair shaft. In addition, moisture will keep your hydrates thus reducing dryness. Therefore, after shampooing and conditioning apply it to your hair and let it sit for 20 – 60 minutes with a plastic bag on. The plastic bag indirectly draws heat to the hair shaft to lift the cuticles so that the innermost part of the hair is nourished. Thus, allowing it to be “repaired”. You can use store-bought protein conditions such as Aphogee. As well as, make DIY home protein treatments with egg or mayonnaise.
#2. Use Oils
– Incorporate oils such as Castor or Argan oil in your hair routine. The oils contain fatty acids and keratin spots that will penetrate your hair shaft to strengthen and nourish it. You can soak your hair in the oils or apply it to the damaged areas overnight or prior to shampooing. As well as, add it to your deep conditioner or treatments.
#3. Eat Protein-rich Foods
– Your hair is made up of 91% protein, hence protein is key. The hair is the last part of the body to receive nutrients, hence you need to consume more protein in order to repair your hair. Foods rich in protein are chicken, nuts, fish, salmon, chickpeas, yogurt, eggs, soy and so much more. Too much protein can cause your hair to become brittle and dry. Hence, you need to be moisturising your hair on a frequent basis.
#4. Avoid Hot Tools
– This is the time to put away your flat and curling iron in hiding. The continuous use of hot tools may have been what damaged your hair, hence stay away. The high temperature from the tools break down the cuticle layers of your hair. Especially if you use them on a daily basis your hair has no time to recover. Once the cuticle layers are gone this opens a can of warms for your susceptibility to damage. Thus, find heatless styles to do on your hair such as a bun.
#5. Avoid Colour and Chemicals
– These are your worst enemies because they alter the texture of your hair by breaking down the cuticle layer. Hence, avoid bleach, colour, as well as perms until your hair is repaired. If you want to experiment with new colours, you can try wearing a wig in the colour you desire.
#6. Protect your hair in the weather
– If your hair is out for the summer use heat protectant or products with SPF in order to protect your hair from the heat. As well as, if you are going to the pool, lake, or beach apply conditioner to your hair. This adds a protective layer to hedge against the environmental conditions that may affect your hair shaft and its cuticle.
#7. Avoid certain shampoos and conditioners
– Stop using products that contain sulfates, parabens, mineral oil and petrolatum. These ingredients take moisture away from the hair, thus leaving it dry and more susceptible to damage. This is dangerous as the hair is already damaged. Use natural products that will help to nourish your scalp and strands for repair.
#8. Cut It
– The last option is to cut which may not be the way that you are looking for. However, if your hair is severely damaged to the point of no repair then it is best to cut the damage off. Hence, hair that has been impaired by constant frying and/or colour has got to go. There is no need to hold onto these strands in order to keep your length. They are harbouring the optimal health of your hair. Cutting of the damage is the way to go because you will be starting afresh. Then, you can grow your hair to your desired length.